Friday 1 August 2014

German East Afrika in 40mm

I spotted this rather nice collection of German Colonials at the London Toy Soldier Show in March but somehow the pics slipped below my radar and have just come up for air.  They are mostly Schneider semi-flat homecast figures but they've been converted to Schutztruppe etc. which I think is rather neat.  

In the foreground and left native figures provide the Maji Maji rebels, behind them the German Colonials in tropical uniform and squeezing in at the back right are the Schutztruppe Askaris

A closer look at the Askaris with some rather nice standard bearers line infantry and jaegers.

"Hey they gotta' band"  well sort of.

The natives work tirelessly in the cowrie shell fields.

There was also a clutch of scratch built buildings to go with the figures, this is the Colonial Government House and to the right of it is on of the native huts.

Lets face it the original figures are so crude and common that they're barely worth the metal they're cast from but with a bit of work and imagination there's a lot you can do with them, why did I never think of doing this before?

4 comments:

  1. I see these figures all the time and never saw the potential that is shown here, brilliant! I love the cowrie fields and the buildings! Great imagination, thanks Brian for another excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me Too, I couldn't afford to buy this collection but I can certainly afford to make my own (over time). Ho hum, one more project to add to the list.

      Delete
  2. A most enjoyable post and great pictures.Much potential and food for thought here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the joys of blogging is sharing ideas, even when they are someone else's!

    ReplyDelete