Tuesday 15 April 2014

Williamite War at the March 2014 London Toy Soldier Show

 A couple of weeks ago I went along to the March 2014 London Toy Soldier Show, I would have to say that since the move to the new venue this show has been in something of a gentle decline.  To spruce things up a bit the organisers have decided that the December 2014 show will be a two day event, the existing Toy Soldier Show to be held on the Saturday and on Sunday the venue hosts a modelling competition and exhibition.


One manufacturer which has been around for a long time is Alexander's Toy Soldiers, who have generally concentrated on making white metal figures of the Napoleonic Wars.  I've tended to bypass their stand in recent years because I've had a bit of a downer on that period but as things were a bit quiet I took a closer look and I was very glad that I did.


They have a small but rather delightful range of figures depicting the Williamite Wars which just happens to be my personal historical plat du jour.  I have been lead down this dimly lit road in the quest for Jacobitism, the well trod path lead off towards Scotland but a narrow lesser known track took me towards Ireland, where I have greater familial associations, and brought me into the sunlight and the gleaming vista that is..... The League of Augsburg blog.


This post is pure indulgence on my part but I'm confident dear reader, that you will agree these figures are very easy on the eye.  Did I buy any? er.......well no.  But that's because I'm already in the process of converting some figures into Dutch chaps like the ones seen above, so expect to see a bit more of this period here at some point in the future.


However I didn't emerge entirely unscathed financially from the ATS stand as they were selling a range of spare parts and I managed to pick up some heads in mirleton caps which I have been searching for to make some Seven Years War Hussars........Hurrah!

13 comments:

  1. Always like the look of "toy soldiers"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a much ovet looked period with a lot to commend it. What will you use ad a base? Segom used to do a lovely and versatile 54mm acetate kit of a Carignan Saliere soldier c 1665. Must have done a dozen or more versions in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using Call to Arms ECW musketeers, extending the jackets to coat length and building up the cuffs with miliput, a labour of love! I have some of the Segom kits and wondered about making moulds from them - yet another project.

      Delete
  3. Hi Brian, These are beautiful figures for a colorful period of history. I always liked their ECW line of figures and these look just as nice. Thanks a lot Brian for keeping us updated on a wonderful new line of figures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late 17th Century has been one of my favourites for years having read John Childs as a teenager.I look forward to seeing the hussars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I am new to the period but am taking to it with all the zeal of the convert.

      Delete
  5. Nik at Alexander's does a fantastic range of most periods I like his Williamites and Jacobites because not many attempt to cover this period in such detail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone interested in covering this period should try C.A Saphersons series of books of the uniforms and armies of both William and James and their Allies they are available from Cavilier Books or On Military Matters online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads upon this Warren, I'm interested and I'll certainly take a look.

      Delete
  7. New figures in this range available including vignette of The Death of Marshall Schomberg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also available is a vignette of King Williams council of war and another lovely set is the recruitment party including table chairs and figures recruiting soldiers to serve the king and a lovely figure of a soldier saying goodbye to his sweetheart

    ReplyDelete