Friday 24 March 2023

Battle Cry Vitoria

 About this time last year Anthony and I played this game, based on the Battle of Vitoria in 1813, using the Battle Cry rules system.  With the passage of time I can't remember the details too well, suffice it to say that I commanded the French and took a good trouncing, so at least we managed to keep the correct historical perspective!  I did however take lots of pictures, so here over two post are lots of toy soldiers with few words to interrupt them.

The initial set up, the French defending behind a bend in the River Zadorra face the Britsh and Portuguese attack.

The allies move up through the woods to threaten the French left flank.......

........while the French have fortified a position on the north bank to protect the river crossing.

I think we found the scenario for this and numerous other Napoleonic battles on the Command & Colours website





Events in the real world coupled with domestic upheaval have taken their toll on my enthusiasm for the hobby this past twelve months.  I did continue to attend collectors events but the Central London Toy Soldier Show has never really recovered from the Covid lockdown and the affairs last June and December were so poorly supported I have nothing to report on them.  The Plastic Warrior show last May by contrast was something of celebration of the faithful with so many old familiar faces making an appearance and at some point I'll put up the photographs I took.

10 comments:

  1. That is a very nice set up.
    I find when things are not going well in other areas that toy soldier painting and wargaming are welcome diversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, the hobby has always provided my "escape room" but I seem to have lost the key to it this past year.

      Delete
  2. Good to see these figures used en masse, something I could only dream of as a boy in the 1970s with a few of these figures in the family. The Cavalry seemed especially exotic and expensive on pocket money ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I spent the 70's chasing girls instead of plastic, when I came to my senses in the 80's I started picking these up from the 10p junk boxes that dealers always had under their tables, they were invariably damaged but not beyond repair, the cavalry I swopped off Stuart Asquith for metal figures.

      Delete
  3. Great photos! This would be a wonderful game at a Woking games day, hint, hint…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With help from Mike and Anthony I managed to put on a similar ACW game at Woking some years ago, so you never know!

      Delete
  4. Brian I have left a message for you on the Little Wars Revisited forum.
    Thanks
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great game Brian! Thank you for the report! I'm so glad to hear that the Plastic Warrior Show was a success, I do feel like things are starting to get a little more normal day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brad, I plan to finally retire later this year so hope to have a bit more time and focus for the hobby.

    ReplyDelete