Friday 3 July 2020

Britains, Airfix and Old School Wargaming - Pure Nostalgia!

Another lazy post here, these old British Pathe newsreels have been on YouTube for years and I'm sure everybody knows them well but I never tire of watching them, so I've put them up mostly for my own benefit.  


Toy Fair 1958
Nice footage of animated Trade Fair displays for Britains Swoppets and other Herald sets, "unbreakable" plastic toy soldiers were in the ascendancy in the British Toy Market in the late 1950's


Toy Fair 1968
Ten years later they are already old news and, in terms of the juvenile toy trade, heading into a long slow decline.  Interesting to see archive footage shot inside the Airfix factory here though.


Men Will Be Boys 1970.
Some great toys on show here, does anyone recognise the two chaps playing the wargame?  Come on, someone must know them, it was only 50 years ago!

For those who haven't heard, I am currently somewhat incapacitated, without access  to my toy soldiers or books, consequently my activity is reduced to writing posts like this and my ebay bill is going through the roof!

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you're incapacitated Brian. I'm afraid to say that I don't know the two chaps in the 1970 film but I'm glad to see that at least one of them was wearing his Sports Jacket whilst gaming as per regulation. All the best and hope you're back gaming soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standards have slipped a long way since those days!

      Delete
  2. Tell us more of your eBay bill, what treasures have you sought and found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I daren't, my wife sometimes reads this blog!

      Delete

  3. I'm very sorry to hear that you are incapacitated without access to your toy soldiers or books. Those are two things That I would miss very dearly, so I feel your pain! Thank you for the videos, I have never seen them before. The animated Swoppets were wonderful! Take care Brian and I hope that you are up and about soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, those Swoppets almost have a life of their own!

      Delete
  4. Always worth another look. (didn't realize Swoppets came out in the 50's, don't think I saw any till 63ish)

    I don't suppose the ebay buys can be claimed as medical expenses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just bidding for the toys is quite a tonic at the moment,even when I lose!

      Delete
  5. Hi Brian,

    great to chat via Skype with you yesterday-hope your newly acquired one-man armoured personnel carrier is up to scratch! I look forward to gaming with you again in the flesh soon. I miss the lunch breaks:)

    Best wishes
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steering is a bit heavy, looks like it will have plenty of scratches before it goes back to the Depot!

      Delete