Thursday 26 March 2020

How they made Tin Flat toy soldiers

The recent post featuring some Tin Flat toy soldiers drew some interest so continuing the theme I thought I'd throw in this short Italian clip from 1937 showing them being made in Austria.  I quite liked this one because it goes through the whole process from drawing the design to engraving the mould, casting, cleaning up, painting and displaying in dioramas.  For anyone who already casts lead toy soldiers, there won't be anything new here but it's always fun to see a piece of old film, and the music's quite jolly too!


Enjoy.

14 comments:

  1. Interesting film clip , this reminds me that I have some flats that need painting .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sure we’re all as well dressed when painting toys these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think we all maintain certain standards.

      Delete
  3. Jolly music, black and white,tin soldiers, what’s not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats what I'm doing wrong, no tie and jacket!

    I still don't get how anyone can carve such beautiful, detailed negative impressions of miniatures into stone!

    Part of me would like to try painting flats but more of me is afraid it would be like trying to eat just one or two peanuts or crisps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely piece of film, thanks for posting it Brian, I thought YouTube was just full of nonsense, but clearly not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is all nonsense, but some of it is good nonsense.

      Delete
  6. Thanks a lot for the clip Brian. I will think of it fondly the next time I am painting up some figures and wearing my t-shirt, sweat pants, and slippers! How times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should all put on a shirt and tie next time we pick up a paintbrush? On second thoughts, perhaps not!

      Delete
  7. Fascinating clip Brian, what easy skill they show! I have a few battered WW1 era thin flats yet to emerge onto my (Flat THIN) Man of TIN blog. Keep well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing the WW1 flats on your blog, you keep safe too Mark.

      Delete