Monday 3 January 2022

1920's Lineol Knight

This mounted knight stands 140mm from base to top of plume and was part of an early set of medieval figures produced in the 1920's by Lineol.  Made from the usual "sawdust and glue" composition material it was part of a jousting tournament, with six foot figures representing members of the Court and attendants plus two mounted knights with two different horses.  The other knight had a couched lance on a rearing horse, I once had the other horse and it was one of the most spectacular pieces I've ever owned but I let it go to a German dealer......... and have regretted that ever since!

The horse trappings are parti-coloured green and white but this one has clearly collected a lot of grime over the past hundred years. I really should give him a gentle clean but I rather like the aged patina and if I removed it I really couldn't wait around another hundred years for it to come back!



6 comments:

  1. Unusual figure , but very attractive .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a special fondness for it, more so as I found it in a junk lot at auction and it cost next to nothing.

      Delete
  2. Another beautiful piece Brian! I agree with you, the patina is very special and should be preserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always struggle with the decision to repaint old figures where the paint is almost all gone for just that reason.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful find full of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought him in a junk lot at auction along with a Lineol figure of King Edward VIII, I suspect they were both bought as tourist souvenirs, given their condition as neither looks as though they've ever been played with. Edward VIII was obviously made in 1936 but this knight was long out of production before the 1930's so I assume they must have been acquired on separate occasions.

      Delete