Tuesday 11 January 2022

Honved infantry for the Risorgimento

 Or at least my take on them. I've been sitting on a pile of Airfix Napoleonic French Line infantry and Grenadiers which I've been steadily trying to find other uses for, I got bored with painting French uniforms a long time ago!


In this case a unit of them are joining my Risorgimento project as Austrian Honved infantry from the  1840s.  Anyone conversant with the period will instantly recognise that the uniforms aren't quite right for such troops, but at least the colours are, more or less, and that's good enough for me.


A simple conversion, just a head change for a metal Austrian shako from Dorset Model Soldiers and a paint job, mounted on metal washers for stability and basing uniformity, the standard is printed from the Warflags website.


Some of the other units in the Risorgimento project have appeared here before in this game based on the Battle of Calatafimi


While I had the Dorset heads and the relevant paints out I added a couple of Austrian Artillery crews to the mix, these made from BMC American Civil War figures.

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful unit of Austrians Brian, and the artillery are excellent! Thanks for the flashback to the Battle of Calatafimi! I really enjoyed seeing it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The production line at chez Carrick has ground to a bit of a halt over the past two years but I hope to get a bit more painting done this summer please God.

      Delete
  2. Simple , elegant conversions. I really like the look of them. Reminded me of this song-
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kWBn33i7Mdo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great track Alan, hadn't heard it before but I loved it!

      Delete
  3. Great pics Brian. Our Calatafimi game reminds me of how well 54mm figures go with an expanded CnC/Battle Cry mat. We must do some more of this type of game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we must, finding the scenarios is the hard bit!

      Delete