Wednesday 10 March 2021

Beautiful Big Battleships

 I recently unearthed these photos I took a few years back of a rather fine model battleship, it was in the window of a high end antiques gallery just outside Hastings in East Sussex, the place was shut and I wouldn't be able to get back there later so I had to take the pics as best I could through the glass.  The model was about eight feet long (from memory) and I thought it was amazing, but I know nothing else about it.  Does anyone recognise the ship? the four smoke stacks might give a clue, could it have been a shipbuilders model or a film prop?  I have no idea but I thought, if I like it, then maybe someone else will too, and I think it's too good an image to leave forgotten on an old memory card.  Double click the pics to see the detail, it's taken a lot of punishment over the years but not beyond restoration I think.



In this pic you can just see the stern of another battleship.


Just to add to the confusion, I think this may be a photo of the second battleship mentioned above.

Yes, definitely a second ship, again with four smoke stacks but I think this one was a bit shorter.

When I look at the damage strewn across the decks of  these old models it makes me ponder on the carnage left in the aftermath of a sea battle between such steel leviathans.

10 comments:

  1. Incredible models Brian! The size alone would make them quite unique, but the detail is also amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you see something and you just know you've got to take a picture!

      Delete
  2. Ooh ! that's an impressive ship , marvelous !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such splendid models they must have been whilst pristine! The first white-hulled vessel looks like a Cressy-class armoured cruiser and the darker-hulled one looks like a Drake-class armoured cruiser. I imagine both would have been shipbuilders models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Andy, that's great to know, I guess they would have seen action in WW1.

      Delete
  4. I know nothing but I really enjoyed the pictures, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them as much as I do, I love it when I find something unusual.

      Delete
  5. They are fantastic models. Thanks for sharing those lovely photos with us.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they found a good home to go to, shame it wasn't mine!

    ReplyDelete